Asparagus spears signify the awakening of the spring vegetable garden, the first harvest of asparagus from the garde are sweet and crunchy and filled with the energy of the spring. This delicate breakfast features the spring asparagus and home raised eggs. Prosciutto is used instead of bacon to complement the sweetness of the asparagus.
Fresh asparagus spears from the garden, washed;
Home raised chicken eggs;
1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet until hot and cook the prosciutto slightly until crisp, remove.
2. Add asparagus spears in the same pan, turning so the asparagus spears are coated with the pan oil. Add a little water, cover to steam. Cook until done. 3-5 minutes.
3. Cook eggs in a separate pan, eggs over-n-easy or sunny side up.
Assemble and serve with toasts.
This two-stage method takes all the guess work out of making bagels. Try it next time you feel like taking on the task, you too, can have the freshest bagels straight out of your oven. The method goes like this: First, a soft dough is made and then turn the soft dough into a stiff dough. And stiff dough, according to my friend, is the key to making good bagels.
(1) Stage 1 dough: For the soft dough: 2 tsp active dry yeast, 1 tsp sugar, 1-1/2 C. warm water, 4C. bread flour (high gluten flour). Mix the water, sugar and yeast together, stir well. Let set until you see yeast bubbles. Add the flour to make a soft spongy dough. Cover the dough and Place it in a warm place until it doubles in size.
(2) Stage 2 dough: 1 tsb active dry yeast, 1 tsb sugar, 1/2 C. warm water, 1 TBSB kosher salt, 5 eggs, 1 TBSB honey, 3C. + 1C. bread flour. Mix sugar, yeast and water together, stir and allow yeast to bubble. Pour the liquid in the soft dough above. Add remaining ingredients except the last cup of flour. Make a dough. Incorporate the last cup of flour, knead until dough develop elasticity, about 10 minutes.
(3) Divide and Proof the Dough: Divided the dough into 12-16 pieces. Place them on a cookie sheet. Cover with a large plastic bag. Allow the dough to rest in a warm place. Dough balls can be proofed covered overnight in the refrigerator.
(4) Baking the Bagels: Remove the bagel rings from the water and dip them in some cornmeal on the bottom. Decorate the top of the bagels as you wish (onion flakes, sesame seeds, egg wash etc etc...). Place the bagels on a baking sheet. Repeat until the baking sheet is full. Bake the bagels in a pre-heated 475F oven for 8 minutes, reduce heat to 450F bake until golden brown, 5-8 minutes.Watch carefully to prevent the bagels from over baking. You may need to change the temperature/timing according to your own oven, but this range should provide you a good guiding point.